Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Strong in Faith

I have come to the conclusion that wireless is one of the greatest blessings of this Century. Lounging in a large plush chair drinking orange and cream soda in a coffee shop with music playing in the background and my Bible at my side is wonderful...added to that my laptop connected on-line, it's stupendous.
I arrived safely back to school (home away from home) several days ago, and have since dived headlong into college life. My parents gave me the Bible on CD for Christmas, so I listened to Romans and part of I Corinthians on the way up...it was glorious. It's truly amazing how different it is to Listen to God's Word as opposed to reading it--especially the entirety of a book in one sitting.
Right around Romans 4 a very familiar verse jumped out at me and I was lost in thought for the rest of the chapter. The Bible says that Abraham was "strong in faith, giving glory to God." Because faith has been the theme of what Christ has been teaching me again and again in the past several years, it automatically jumped out at me. Abraham gave glory to God by being strong in faith. His trust in God was implicit, therefore glorifying God in His rightful position as Sovereign, All-Wise, Loving, Holy God.
The reverse of that is true as well, however, which I thought on quite a bit. When I don't have faith in my God, I rob Him of the glory due His majestic name. I say, perhaps even subconciously, "I don't feel like You know what is Best, I will not trust Your Wisdom or Your Sovereignty, and I certainly don't think You're doing what is very Loving." I become a mini-god on the throne of my own little world, my faith becomes horrifically mis-placed, and I rob God of His glory.
Faith really is a phenomenal concept. The more I learn and the more the Lord leads me and guides me and teaches me in the way of faith, the more I see the vastness of how much I have to learn...and the greater the temptation to be discouraged at my lack of faith, in the very face of the greatness (and faithfulness) of my God. But this itself is a lack of faith, and faith brings hope and joy and consolation in the plan and purpose of God.
As the Lord allows, I'm sure there will be other blogs on faith. It is the central part of my life now--the facet of my being. But until then, may you be strong in faith, giving glory to God.

1 comment:

text said...
This comment has been removed by the author.