Saturday, February 02, 2008

When It Rains It....Tsunamis.

I do not have the reflexes of a cat. This remarkable discovery occured sometime in the middle of the night last night when I found myself painfully sprawled on our carpeted cement floor. Apparently I had convinced myself in my sleep that I was back home in my normal bed--not perched on the top of a bunk bed. I slightly remember sitting up in a half cognizant state and jumping off my bed--expecting the ground to be 3 inches away. However, the ground was decidedly Not 3 inches away, and my slumbering body did not compensate. I found myself painfully awake on our floor, having landed on my palms and my knees and skinning a huge chunk of my arm to the state of bleeding. My roommate woke up to the thud (fat joke target: right here) and wanted to know if I was ok and needed some ice. :) Needless to say, I stumbled into the bathroom, surveyed the damage, and painfully pulled myself back up into bed. I rather wish we had had it on video; I bet it would have been entitled to something in Funniest Home Videos.
However, it seemed a fitting way to end the week. Sometimes the Lord orchestrates the circumstances of life to beyond pouring when it rains. C.S. Lewis once wrote that God whispers in our joys but shouts in our pain.
How very often I must clear away the cobwebs of complexities and come back to simply sit in His presence and adore. The simplicity that is in Christ--to delight in God. And how thankful I am for weeks such as these that remind me acutely of the character of God...His sovereignty, His mercy, His power, His holiness, His grace.
As Oswald Chambers stated so poignantly, "All I do ought to be founded on a perfect oneness with Him, not on a self-willed determination to be godly." Yet another reason I am thankful for the perfect plans of God that manifest themselves in ways unpleasant to the flesh. A reminder that I cannot make myself godly, I cannot rescue myself from trouble...for I can do nothing apart from Him. What a blessed reality for the soul to claim!

It seems at times that when it rains it tsunamis...but God is Who He says He is.

Ps. 33:21 "For our heart is glad in Him because we trust in His holy name."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture on your blog and enjoyed "catching up" on your blog... I hope your arm and knees are feeling better. :)